Thursday, February 12, 2009

Spain rain on Beckham’s parade

Capello insists Englandwill learn from tough lossin Seville, as Beckham matches Moore’s record
International friendly
Spain 2 England 0
SEVILLE (Spain) — Fabio Capello gleaned positives in defeat despite seeing England outclassed by Spain on Wednesday night (yesterday morning, Singapore time), and said his players will be better when they take on Ukraine in their next World Cup qualifier in April.
.The loss at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan stadium was the team’s first in nine matches under the Italian and, while the European champions always seemed capable of upping the tempo, there was encouragement to be had in the visitors’ possession and flashes of adventure, particularly down the flanks.
.“I think this game was very important for us,” insisted Capello. “We played against one of the best teams in the world and we know the difficulties we came up against during the game. I’m not happy because we lost, but I understand a lot for the future. We can’t play the same style (as Spain), but we have to play with our own style with the players that we have at this time.
.“But I repeat: Spain played well because it’s the same team that won the Euro. For me, it was an important test for a lot of players and we learned a lot for the future when we come up against sides like this.”
.Spain have now gone 29 games unbeaten, a sequence dating back to October 2006, with their calm authority setting them apart here.
.MLS set Beckham deal deadline
.David Beckham did at least have the opportunity to earn his 108th cap, equalling Bobby Moore’s outfield record, as a second-half substitute though his evening was marred by a booking for dissent in the closing stages as frustration got the better of him.
.“I’m very honoured to be up there with Bobby Moore,” said Beckham.
.“It’s something I always dreamed about as a kid, playing for England. Now to be up there with Bobby Moore, Billy Wright, Bobby Charlton, is really something. There was a time back in 2005 and 2006 when I missed a few games and I didn’t think I would make it ... Of course I want to break the record now. I’ll take each game as it comes, but we’ll have to wait and see.”
.To do that, he may need to force a move from Los Angeles Galaxy to AC Milan, where he is currently on loan.
.“I’m playing for Milan and having a great time there,” he said.
.“Now I’m just hoping to negotiate with MLS to join Milan. But I’m enjoying my football and I hope it continues.”
.Added Capello: “I’m happy for David‚ it’s an important record‚ but I think he would be disappointed to have equalled the record and lost the game. But Spain have one of the best midfields in the world. They can punish your every mistake, so this was a good lesson to learn.”
.MLS commissioner Don Garber, meanwhile, has now given Milan until today to push through a transfer deal for Beckham. The league owns Beckham’s contract, which is reportedly worth £25 million ($53.6 million) a year.
.“By Friday, he is either coming back or he is transferred,” he said. “If it is not resolved by Friday, I will not approve the transfer. This has been going on too long. There is no reason for it to drag on.” source The Guardian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home